li

Work hard, Play hard... et un peu de déconne!

Quand il n'est pas occupé par son herbier, le petit P sème des pierres blanches dans la forêt... Adepte de vieilles séries policères allemandes, il n'est pas peu commun de le trouver en train de manger la choucroûte devant la télé!


25 mars 2007

Luci's bet: Multi-dimensionality induced compromises...

The origins of multi-dimensionality:
What's the difference between my army carpenter friend and my Lausanne-St Gall-London Investment banking, skiing, golfing, partying-like-there's-no-tomorrow friend...

In the current yuppie life, there is a struggle towards self-development: discover and enrich one's own personality...

"Yeah! Been there, done that!"

Lived in Asia? sure
Parachuting? love it
Been in Katmandu? who do you think I am?
Hate Charles de Gaulles airport? well, let's say I prefer London City, although there is a point for Sheremetyevo...
Tried golf? Yeah done it, while scuba diving in Mauritius...
Oh and by the way, I think Machu Pichu is better than Angkor Wat, but of course, you can't discount the mystical side of Uluru...


Every little modern mini-orgasm, every discovery we do - and can't we just do anything we want*? - arrogant high-potential that we are...

So, P, what does this have to do with love, coupling, mating, the works?

Well, the search for a soulmate is linked to our soul's expectations to find our counterpoint in another**... Those n-dimensions:
I want someone that pleases my mom
I want someone who could party with my college friends
I definitely want someone who can go to those fancy evenings I'll be invited to as a big shot in my professional life...
And most of all, I want someone who wants to develop themselves in the same way that I do...


And the different dimensions can take so many different directions:
You like India? I more of a China kind of guy...
You're very fond of Fajitas? I am more of a Chili con carne kind of guy...
...


I guess what I'm trying to say is***



And, oh yeah, I need a girl who can cope with my omnipresent geekiness...

As Adrien puts it: "Give it enough filters and you'll never find!"

That's when we started considering the comprises you have to do in order not to end up single until 50 and marrying a girl to our likings at this point: Hot, submissive, none to contradictive, able to run an household... Of course, having been single and workaholic until then, preferences tend to have changed!

The absolute horror, if you ask me: no family, no true equilibrium...

So what if, like a good friend of mine, you end up "choosing" a girl that doesn't fit your wild college days and the crazy partying that ensued... What if it actually were the best long-term compromise?

Until then, keep searching!

P, "definitely Winchester Cathedral..."

* except of course, take a couple of days off work...
** big time movie reference there, found it? No? I guess you couldn't be my soulmate, could you?
*** If I could programm Latex, this would be much more decent
PS: A big thank to the great sociologist Prof. Dr. Peter Gross for his input!

Libellés :

1 Comments:

At 26 mars, 2007 17:36, Anonymous Anonyme said...

well the willingness to compromise is what separates singles from people in a relationship.

read it somewhere on a bumper sticker... ;-)

well whatever i don't know actually. no need to overly agonize about it.

know this?
http://sciencesoft.at/flashlatex.jsp?lang=de

cheers, chuebel "drinking cheap oettinger and enjoying the spring sun"

uh, yeah :banana:

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home